Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SISTER : DEBORAH

Sister Deborah

July 6, 2008


Can you imagine being the only child from 11/1949, until 2/1959 ? These nine years and three months must have been wonderful bonding years between mother and my sister Deborah. My mother did not marry our father Milford, until Deborah was seven years old. These first seven years of Deborah’s life were filled with love from mothers family members in Parsons, Tennessee and/or Waverly area.

The missing link for my sister was her father Charles Dodd. Mother and Charles divorced when Deborah was an infant. Due to the job requirements of our family, by moving around, this set the stage of changes-of-address and telephone numbers. However, the Spencer and Dodd families stayed within the Waverly area, with consistency. Mother depended on her siblings in Tennessee to inform her about family emergency details or events. This complicated the school years for Deborah. Due to enrollments in many different school systems, based on the telecommunication work, daddy performed for Johnson Construction Company.

My fondest memory of my sister as we grew up, was how she was so cool as a teenager. She watched, `American Bandstand` and taught me all the hip dances, which were demonstrated on this television show. My sister is my `Sissy`. Just like the show `Family Affair`, with the twins Buffy and Jody, their sister was called `Sissy`. And my Sissy bought me a Mrs. Beasley doll, identical to the show doll that Buffy carried.

As I watched her drive away with her husband Bobby, I cried by the window.

Memories of my Sissy being my secondary mother figure were so declared in my family, that I had to separate her role from my mothers role, when I started first grade. I really believed we called Deborah, `Sissy`, due to her importance as a secondary mother.

Throughout my childhood I thought I was a Princess.

My Sissy, would dress me up like a doll, with scarfs and make-up. She called me her, little Princess.

I remember my imaginary playmate, I called `Dawn`, was always connected somehow to my Sissy. Dawn slept with me, ate dinner with me and this imaginary playmate soon wore out her welcome in our family. I remember being told that Dawn could no longer go everywhere with me. At this turning point, as a pre-schooler, I exchanged a dependency upon my Sissy, for the loss of Dawn. Deborah’s first born daughter’s name, is Dawn.

I think imaginary friends are very healthy for children. However, sometimes children as spoilt as I was, needed a reality check between imaginary playmates and real life.

If I had been `Alice in Wonderland`, I would never have departed from `Dawn’. Dawn would have always been at the tea party. Due to this childhood experience with an imaginary playmate, I have as an adult researched archetypal connections in civilization. Because my sister Deborah, was nine years older, I have a bond toward her similar to how a child will bond with a Nanny and/or Wet-nurse. The interesting relationship between myself and Deborah is based on these childhood memories, I am sharing with the reader.

At 13 years old, I can recall my blonde, tan, sister, coming into town with her sports car. Then all the Junior Football Team, asking me who that beautiful girl was ?

Yes, she was a fantastic singer, also.

Petulla Clark, sang the song, `Down Town` and my Sissy could sound exactly like her. I have great admiration for my sisters ability to transform herself into a domestic partner, who served her family of three girls and a husband, while devotion to Church, was always number one. Having experience with 30 years of matrimony, is only one area she excelled in. She has been to Africa in reference to a Church Missionary Project. And her renewal ability to survive the death of her husband, with dignity and purpose of life, speaks loudly concerning transformations she continues to make.

As you can read, I respect the differences between Deborah and myself.

However, in my heart she is always, my `Sissy`.


I love you, forever !

Love you sis,

Betty

No comments: